Sunday, July 19, 2015

It feels so good at Bells: by Omosun sylvester (a coach story)

It feels so good to know that I am inspiring a lot of young students and that a lot of them look up to me for advice. It makes me feel really good. Every time I am there with them either to play a game, watch or coach, there are these students supporting me and wanting to play a part. They could ask about my plan for them, ask about my family, I in turn return the greetings. When I was young and playing University basketball the coach then had a big impact on me not so much by enhancing the things that my parents have taught me, I learned a lot from him, learned how to deal with being a basketball player, being in the public eye, handling success, and understanding that there is a right way to treat people. That is the same education I hope to give the player I come in contact with. God gave me the chance to be a healthy, contributing individual and if I am not doing that then I feel that I’ve not only failed myself, but that I am not contributing to something that God helped me to do. I encouraged the student to embrace literature, by talking about the sports they love most, this way I have learned a lot from my team, from the way they handle situations on and off the court, I have read some great inspirational stories they have written about themselves and I am about to share them in a book “nuance of Bells” I have players that have been through a lot or that are going through something; like Obaro; the assistant captain of the University team, is right now going through a season-ending injury, and how he is handling the situation by staying upbeat. I always put myself in his situation and ask myself: “Could I stay that positive if I were going through the same thing?” A lot of times without even acknowledging it, you can look at your players; how they deal with their daily struggles and find a way for them to inspire you and fellow student. I see that and I feel good. And as a player you have a lot of responsibility as a role-model for a lot of people. That’s something I personally take very seriously and just trying to make the right decisions because I know I have been led down the right path by a lot of people and one of the biggest things you can do is try to set the right example and hopefully one day people will say Omosun Sylvester was my inspiration. This is what keep me going from day to day, working in the community, even when I am tired or depressed about something: Motivation for me varies from day to day. It depends on the kids’ attitudes and my attitude. I have highs and lows and I think part of my process of development now is trying to leave my personal stuff at home and praying for my family support. Lessons to learn. Books to read Problems to solve Friends to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment