Wednesday, April 7, 2010

When a working Staff becomes a sport coach



If you are like most University staff coaches in Nigeria, you have probably been recruited from the ranks of a concerned employee, sport enthusiasts, or community volunteers. Like many first time coaches, you probably have had little formal instruction on how to coach. But like everyone else we were expected to learn from experience

It is this experience I wish to talk about in this write-up, when the call went out to assist with the sports program, I answered because I like the students and enjoy basketball, and perhaps because I wanted to be involved in a worthwhile community activity in the university.

There are thousands of occupations in the world today, and coaches come from virtually all of them. It’s common to see consultants, therapists, trainers, human resource professionals, healing arts professionals and all types of manager’s transition into coaching. And, it’s not uncommon for attorneys, accountants, business owners, engineers and even ministers to enter the field of coaching

The initial coaching assignment was difficult. Like many new volunteers, it is impossible to know everything there is to know about basketball or about how to work with sport committee concerning the coaching. This book ‘when the whistle blows talks of the experience’ apart from being fun it will help young coaches learn the basics of coaching university basketball effectively.

This book came about because I am excited about sharing what I have learned with others, and the willingness to fashion it into something that fits the other person's needs perfectly.

Although coaching may not be the right career for you, learning coaching skills will certainly improve your current work and quality of life as it has done mine, because coaching was an option when I planned my careers, it is not part of what I hoped to be in a university I just stumbled into it.

I have special abilities as a coach and I believe that people are willing to pay for the knowledge through them, so I was willing to take the time to learn and perfect the craft of coaching, and I am hoping my idea could attract people who want my support and input

Also I believe that added coaching to you personal attributes can help you to become more financially successful person, as a staff and a coach you will flourish in an expanded professional network and community.

Success today is largely dependent on the size and strength of your personal and professional network. The more people you get to know – and who get to know you – the better for your long-term financial success and professionalism


POETRY AND BASKETBALL

I seek glue that holds this team together 
And break the game wide open. 
to make things happen out there at bells
with a play bigger than us all

I seek students from all colleges
as an integral part of my offence
I could honor them with my poetry
To add a new dimension to their defence

So that when bells teams get together 
you can not throw out their records
because it’s gonna be a war out there
for love of the game

No comments:

Post a Comment